In Connecticut, municipal teachers are not covered by Social Security, but are covered by a teachers’ retirement system.  Benefits are administered by the Teachers’ Retirement Board. The Connecticut system includes a disability allowance. If you are a member of the system, and are no longer able to teach because of a disability, you can apply for a disability allowance.  This benefit is not the same as a long term disability policy which your town may offer. There are important differences. Many teachers are unaware of these differences. Many teachers are unaware that a disability allowance even exists. If you are out of work because of a disability, you should speak to a disability attorney about these differences, so you can decide what is best for your particular situation. Speak to an attorney as soon as you become disabled; do not delay. Delay can cost you important benefits.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search